Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Belted Kingfishers at Scout Lake Park

The dawn patrol hit Scout Lake Park this morning in Greendale, Wisconsin with hopes of catching something unusual, such as perhaps the resident beaver I have seen here before. They are quite rare in this area. Actually, this was the second stop, but the sun really hadn't cleared the trees yet at this "sunk in a hole" kind of lake, so it was still pretty dark.

scout lake park greendale wisconsin

The Mallards were just waking up. Many still sleeping on the banks. I counted a total of 45 including these youngest ones who were out for a swim with Mom.

scout lake park greendale wisconsin

I walked on the path that goes around the perimeter, stopping at the fishing pier which gives a great view of all parts of the shore line. The best find I had after 20 minutes of sitting there was a pack of fishing bobbers left by someone the day before, then suddenly I heard the Kingfisher rattle! Oh boy! There were three actually, perched on dead branches, then diving into the water for fish. Kingfishers seem to be mostly solitary, so I wonder if these were siblings?


As I watched them from across the lake, I got the notion that I should move over there to get closer. Of course, no sooner than I did that ... where did they go? Over by the pier from where I just came! 

Belted Kingfisher Scout Lake Park Greendale  Wisconsin

Oh well, I was comfortable quietly sitting on my little rock on the shore, so I waited. An older man and child walked by and started fishing from the pier. Another gentleman slowly started jogging laps around the lake.

Then suddenly, I got my chance .... CLICKITY CLICKITY CLICK!!!

Belted Kingfisher Scout Lake Park Greendale Wisconsin


Belted Kingfisher Scout Lake Park Greendale Wisconsin

Belted Kingfisher Scout Lake Park Greendale Wisconsin

One flew right towards me and landed just about over my head. The light wasn't the greatest, so I've had to process them quite a bit, but I'm still very happy with the shots I did get. Well worth the effort in my book. 

Scout Lake Park Greendale Wisconsin





No comments:

Post a Comment